Monday, July 16, 2012

Recruiting His (Jesus') Team - A message about the calling of the various

One of the aspects which I love about the church is the various types of people that make up the church - both globally and locally. It reminds me so much of the variety of the 12 Apostles (even the additional two, later in scripture).

They each had their own personalities, flaws, and strengths. However, they didn't all have the same personality, flaw, or strength. They were unique and different. They made their fair share of mistakes, but Jesus put them together to make a great band of brothers to accomplish a task.

Sunday, we looked at the appointment of the original 12 Apostles. As Jesus appointed them and sent them, we are also being sent out to the world! Here are some applications to choose to use this week...

  • Being Called ~ There have been times in my life that I was called on the telephone which I wish that I hadn't answered. Sometimes those types of calls are being asked to participate in a group/organization. I tend to say yes to these calls, sometimes with regret. There have been times I've regretted saying yes, initially, but found a great reward in the end. I would think that maybe a few of them started into this new commitment and thought "what have I gotten myself in to?" However, if it was like me, I usually enjoy the commitment, in the end.
  • Using the Various ~ God will use you in a great way if you can allow Him to mold you. Too often we start to have some "hardening of the arteries" and lose our pliability. As you are unique, remember that God will use you even when are aren't like "someone else." Too often we can get down on ourselves and think that we are not as useful. Believe me, you are useful! I love Peter's encouragement to his recipients in I Peter 4:10-11 (Read here). It describes how we are different but we can still be of great benefit to the Kingdom!
Think of ways you can be out of your comfort zone to increase the coverage of the Gospel. How can you use your variants of yourself to make a great impact for God?

Now it's your turn...What have you had success in a talent/ability of yours that you thought, at the time, was not really much of a talent/ability?

No comments: