Monday, July 23, 2007

Monday Mentionings - Going Before the King - Nehemiah 2:2-4a

I left yesterday pumped up and excited! Thanks for making it a great day! It was another encouraging "family reunion"! Speaking of encouragement, Nancy informed me that the "encouragement" bulletin board will be left up for another month - so you still have time to encourage someone!!!

Nehemiah has been a great study for me, so far, and I don't think that will change. I love getting my "scriptural snorkel" out to go exploring beneath the surface of scripture. Pray for me that what I discover, through my explorations, will come through clearly in application for you, the recipient.

Yesterday, we looked at the first half of the second chapter of Nehemiah. Nehemiah goes before the king to ask permission to go to Jerusalem. He comes with a "broken heart", revealing a "humble heart", and leaving with a "happy heart". Here are some additional applications for you to choose from...

  1. Nehemiah had a change in demeanor because his heart was broken to make a change in Jerusalem. What is heavy on your heart that you would like to see changed? It may not be directly related to the church, but it might be something the church could be involved in. Regardless of what it is, pray that God would open a door for you to get involved (just as Nehemiah wanted to get involved).
  2. Nehemiah was in the habit of praying. He said this quick prayer (Nehemiah 2:4b) in between statements to the king. Remember, Nehemiah went before the King (of heaven) before he went before the king (of the land). A suggestion regarding this type of prayer that I got from an outside source is: While I am cleaning the house I lift my heart to God and say, ‘Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me, for Christ’s sake. Amen.’ This is just one suggestion that came from a bible verse. Maybe you can think of others. If you find any out...let me know!
  3. Nehemiah was granted what he requested. Sometimes it may be difficult to ask God things when we are not getting the answers we are looking for, especially when they don't come as quickly as we want. God wants us to ask Him for help. Remember, He is the God of abundance...don't limit Him...ASK...He may just surprise you with an amazing "YES"! And you would have never known if you didn't ask.

Whatever is on your heart...continue to take it to Him. If you haven't found something that is heavy on your heart, pray that God would reveal something to you.

I pray that prayer will be as needed for your spiritual well-being as breathing is for your physical well-being!

May you have a Jesus-filled week!

Looking for the next surprise ~

No comments: