Thursday, January 3, 2008

E-mail Encouragement: Walking Along the Shoreline

Over the past week, my niece has been visiting us. As a five-year-old with no one else to play with, she gets to entertain herself about half of the time. It is refreshing to just sit and watch a child play by themselves. Their creativity and wonder continues to amaze me. It sometimes makes me reminisce about my childhood. Just the other day, she was riding in our car with my wife and I and she took the booklet that came with our infant car seat and started thumbing through it. All the while, creating a story out of the pictures in the booklet. My wife and I just laughed to ourselves as she used the knowledge that she has to expand in creativity and wonder. This brings us to this week’s quote…

The larger the island of knowledge, the longer the shoreline of wonder. - Ralph W. Sockman


Once we attain knowledge or achieve a goal, we generally want to go further. I know that is the case for me. Once I’ve finished one thing, I look forward to the next (even if I take a break in between projects, etc.). I know that each week that I have finished a lesson, I look forward to working on the next – wondering what will be around the corner.

What have you experienced as you walked along the “shoreline of wonder”? Wondering what life will be like in the next week? Wondering what ministry God will call you to next? Wondering who God will put along your path to influence? Wondering what you could do in your life if there were no restrictions?

The life of a child is filled with creativity, imagination, and wonder. May we all be like a child once in a while!

Have a great rest of your week!

Serving Him ~

No comments: