Thursday, November 6, 2008

Developing a Greater Vision

Being a principal's son has its definite disadvantages. For example, your peers tend to think that you get special treatment because of your father's position. The jeering doesn't stop when the school day ends or at non-school related events, no it continues on into other realms of life.

There was one such individual in my class that was one of the ones who dished out most of the jeers. It caused me to really grow to dislike him, even though I would try to let it go most of the time. In my youth, I even "dreamed" that when I grew up, I would show up on his doorstep and beat him up for all that he dished out. Well, that "dream" never came true, for various reasons. However, I had to make the choice to get on with life or fall victim of my circumstance. This brings us to this week's quote...
People who consider themselves victims of their circumstances, will always remain victims unless they develop a greater vision for their lives. ~ Stedman Graham
As I mentioned, that "dream" never came true for a few reasons. One, this boy turned out to be a user of drugs. Which I began to feel sorry for him rather than hurt. Two, I was a Christian and this was no way to solve the problem. Lastly, I knew that my life was going in a positive direction and his was going in a negative one.

People who feel the sense of entitlement tend to fall victim of their circumstances. They go through life waiting for something better, rather than putting forth the effort of achieving a goal.

Vision, in life, is so important to see where you want to go. Have you had a string of bad luck due to poor choices or the environment where you live? Make realistic goals and envision where you want to be, praying throughout the process about how you are going to get there. You may not see the "end", but God can do amazing things when you give it to Him, letting Him work. We have our part to do as much as we can to be proactive in achieving those goals.

Looking forward to the future...

No comments: