Monday, November 24, 2008

Thanks For the Memories

We're down to our last 168 hours of living in Southern Illinois. WOW...that is hard to even write! We moved here with lots of ambition and drive. We engrossed ourselves into the Lord's work, which entailed getting involved with the community.

We had the privilege of naturally getting to know a lot of people in the community through a preschool that the church had going. We put our own stamp on this endeavor and had several parents, who had children involved prior, tell us it was better than it was before. We went to summer events to see these children play t-ball. We strengthened relationships each time we saw them in public.

We took other initiative to get involved in the community. Subbing was one way of doing that. I have really enjoyed getting to know the kids in the high school and junior high, along with the staff. A blog is not long enough to write about all the memories and experiences I've had while subbing!!!

I was looking for an outreach idea, and God led me to start a Ping Pong League. More people I had the privilege of knowing in the community. It is continuing on despite our leaving...God connects the dots!

In the field of ministry the local Ministerial Alliance has had its open doors. This led to serving on the Kids Kingdom Project and the Tree of Lights committee. With the Tree of Lights I have left my mark by designing and making the tree that is used with the fund raising campaign each year. Design work also allowed me to create other designs used with the Tree of Lights. The local Ministerial Alliance has a great group of ministers working to serve the McLeansboro community! I enjoyed serving as Secretary and President during my time.

One of the greatest surprises was the opportunity for the local newspaper to use my blog entries as articles. My prayer has been to "reach more people for Christ" and this has been one door that God opened. I have had numerous people tell me how much they have enjoyed reading my articles. At least half are people who come to me and say something like "aren't you the one who writes those articles...I really enjoy them". I have praised God many times that I have been able to connect with people through this medium.

We also had our first child here. He continues to be referred to as a "miracle" baby. He didn't have any health defects that he has had to endure, but the fact that we were able to become parents, finally, makes him a miracle! This is his "home" and we hated to have to leave here.

I can't leave out our spiritual family...whom we hate, the most, to leave. You've been supportive of us. You've dreamed with us and served with us. You got on board with our ideas. You've trusted us. You embraced us. You sat in the trenches with us. You are our forever family!

Comments that I've been sent from some people in the community that have meant a lot...
"Thanks again! for being an excellent addition to the community."
"Just so you know, the last year of my life has been the most difficult of my adult life. You are the only person that expressed an interest in my well being and I do appreciate it...The community has lost a valuable asset. As "Men of God" fare, you are at the top of the list...in my opinion..."
"I appreciate what you've done for us at Unit 10 and in the community. Thanks."

It has been a great three and a half years! We will miss you! THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES!!!

No comments: