Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Who is That Guy?

Being new creates opportunities to be introduced. However, it also creates intrigue and curiosity as to who someone may be.

The other day, I was at the Lenten Brown Bag and at the conclusion of the program a man and woman were talking. I heard her say to the gentleman, “Who is that guy?” It was kind of an awkward moment for her, I think, because I heard her and she was pretty sure I heard her. As she said, “I think he heard me” to the gentleman after I passed. The gentleman didn’t know who I was, as he wasn’t there last week and neither was she.

I don’t know if it was sheer curiosity or what it was that caused her to ask that question. It reminded me of a great show that I used to watch reruns of and at the end the people would as “Who was that masked man?” Do you remember? He was also known as “Kemo Sabe” (That was the best spelling I could research). You know him better as “The Lone Ranger”.

It was a great show, where he would come in, befriend the good guy, make enemies with the bad guys and eventually take care of the problem, then leave the situation. All the while creating much curiosity among the locals.

Another person this reminds me of…Jesus. He healed many people and they looked at Him with total curiosity. The apostles on the boat, during the storm, even asked that question, “Who is this guy, that even the winds and the waves obey him?” They might have known who He was, technically, but they were blown away at the fact that wind and waves would calm down at the deliverance of His command.

Do people have the same reaction when you come/leave a place? Do they wonder who you are? Did you do something that caught them off guard that they want to know who you are? We are to be lights in a dark world. May God bless you with opportunities this week to pique people’s attention that causes them to say “Who is that guy/girl?”

No comments: