Thursday, June 11, 2009

Life Under Control

I don't know how many times I said something like "Well, Chris's mom and dad let him go". Then my parents would respond, "We're not concerned with Chris, we're concerned with you." Ugh! My life was temporarily ruined! I didn't get what I wanted and I had a fight with a parent that "didn't understand me" anyway. Or, there were the times that someone else made me do something, be it a dare, being called a degrading name, or some other "reason" for causing me to go through with an action. It was "out of my control" to do it, right? That might have been what I thought, but it isn't what was actual.

Oh, those were the days! Learning who is in control of your life and following through with it. Even adults like to make excuses for why things go the way they do. That brings us to this week's quote...

Everyone's life is under someone's control - it might as well be under your own so that you can direct your destiny. ~ Harry Tucker

Whose control are you under? Have you had your temporary "peer pressure" moments when you caved to someone else, essentially being under their control? Had those "can't say no" moments? We've all been there.

The valuable lesson to learn is to understand when we need to be under the control of someone else and when we need to decide things for ourselves. I am not speaking of being under the control of God, that is a given. I am simply talking about the control we're under in different situations here, on earth.

Sometimes we need to get a backbone and stand up for what we believe in, in any given situation. Understand when you need to say no and when you can agree to something. Don't let people govern your life (guidance in life is OK).

Live your life under your control, where you decide the outcome and are pleased with the choices.

Gaining control...

1 comment:

Harry Tucker said...

Hi Jarrod,

I was very flattered to see you use my quote as your quote of the week.

I really liked your blog entry. I think it is really important that we assert ourselves instead of waiting for the solution to some challenge to come floating in.

Take care and create a great day!

Harry

http://www.harrytucker.com