Thursday, October 15, 2009

Enjoying Doing What You Cannot Do

There is something that is in us that enjoys doing what someone tells us we cannot do. As I was a child, then a teen, there were times when I did things which I knew I couldn't do. Now, as a parent, I see that in my son. Even though he is 21-months, he will still go near something and we can tell him "no" and he may go ahead and do it. What is worse than that is when he gets this impish smile on his face and then does whatever he isn't supposed to do. He even thinks it is funny. To be honest, it is cute and funny, but I can't let him see that!

"Rules are made to be broken" and boundaries are made to be crossed, these could be some of your personal philosophies. You may take great pleasure in seeing how fast you can drive before you get caught or pushing someone to their breaking point.

As those focus on the negative, let's think about focusing a bit on the positive...which brings us to this week's quote...
The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do. ~Walter Bagehot
If the statement is true, and for many we have experienced it or observed it, then maybe you cannot be successful. You cannot make good decisions. You cannot go to college. You cannot graduate. You cannot ______!

Sometimes when I tell my son that he cannot touch something, he has this deep desire to go and touch it; regardless of the outcome.

If someone says you cannot do something, look for the opportunity to take pleasure in making sure it happens.

Looking for pleasure in life? Do what people have told you

No comments: