Monday, November 16, 2009

Delusional Decision in a Dash - Joshua 9:3-14, 22

One of my weaknesses is a "good deal". Sometimes that is enhanced when I go near a clearance aisle. I may see things that I don't need, but could use, eventually, so I want it because of the price. Then that item takes a seat on a shelf or hides in a compartment till the one time I MAY need it.

Have you ever bought something at an auction? If you have, you know that sometimes you have to make a decision very quickly. Especially when it was something you didn't intend on purchasing. Not too long ago I was at an auction where I saw something in a miscellaneous bin that I wanted (bear in mind, I didn't need it). Being the frugal guy I am, I told myself I wasn't going to bid too high. So, the bin came around. It started about $10, then to $5, then to $1. My hand shot up then. WOW...$1 for the item I wanted, plus the other stuff. I was willing to go to about $3 for this one item. The auctioneer tried to get people to go the next level..but "SOLD!" to me for $1. That was good, I bought the item I had wanted (which I haven't used yet)...but the best part (for me) was that they had thrown in ANOTHER miscellaneous bin, too! All for only $1.00!!! SCORE!

Occasionally, those kinds of moments come our way and a spur-of-the-moment decision can become a positive one. However, some decisions like that can be not-so-good. Maybe it is deciding to go to a bar/party? Maybe it is looking at a classmate's test? Maybe it is fudging your taxes? Maybe it is looking longingly at someone's body? Maybe it is clicking on an internet link? Maybe it is not stopping at a stop sign? Maybe it is buying something that will take too much out of your monthly expenses?

As we looked Sunday at Joshua and his encounter with some 'neighbors', they presented him with a proposal and he took it. His decision was rash and had consequences. Here are some applications to choose from to use this week...
  1. Hesitate ~ If you're at an auction and you hesitate too long, you may lose out. Sometimes in life we parallel too many things with this way of thinking. We may think we are "losing out" when, in fact, we may end up winning. Glance through the list of "maybes" above and see if there are any categories that you have been in where you didn't hesitate, but gave in to making that decision. When I umpired baseball, one of the disciplines they teach you is to hesitate just a brief moment to make a decision on a close play, be it a pitch coming in or a out/safe call. To make it too fast you may not see the ball dropped, for example. So, to hesitate can help a person make a better decision.
  2. Ask ~ Solomon wrote in the book of Proverbs, chapter 15, verse 22: Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisers they succeed. (NIV) When a quick decision must be made, you may not be able to "phone a friend". But there may be times when you can consult counsel for the time when you have to make a decision like that the next time. However, for those times when you do have some time to make a decision, it is good to have someone to discuss it with, getting various points of view, so you can make a good decision. Keep in mind that your first response should be asking God.
  3. Direction ~ Which way do you go? North? South? East? West? Forward? Backward? Sideways? Up? Down? Life can hand us a whole list of choices. We want to know where we're supposed to be. Where can God use you in life? How can He use you in this or that situation? As you connect with Him, regularly, I think it will become clear what direction you will need to go in.
You may find one of these that may apply to things you are confronted with or subjected to, in life. However, these three things are also a simple formula to go through when you are faced with a spur-of-the-moment situation: Hesitate, Ask, Direction. When you're trying to decide think "H.A.D." to help you out!

Seeking Him in my Decisions...

No comments: