Saturday, March 27, 2010

Some Knowledge Comes Best From Experience

How many of you know what happens within the walls, on any given Sunday, within the Church of Christ?  How about the Presbyterian Church?  The College View Baptist Church? Do you know what happens during the Lenten Brown Bag & Bible?

My point is not to endorse, nor leave out, any of the churches in the city or anywhere else.  I am simply introducing the fact that we often do not know much other church denominations.  However, we may be forming opinions about them without actually ever experiencing them.  I write this from experience and if I have had this experience, I presume others have too.  Even if you have experienced more than one place of worship, you may have formed an opinion about a place you haven't attended.

I grew up going to the same church denomination my whole life.  Occasionally, as a child I have stepped foot in other church buildings for special events (weddings, funerals, VBS, etc.).  However, I didn't go to those buildings for a "worship" time. 

I am not suggesting that one should go from church building to church building, nor to leave where they are attending.  I am wanting people to realize that sometimes what happens behind a building's closed doors may not actually be that much different than what you're used to doing in your church building.

As mentioned previously, I grew up going to the same denomination.  I was told things about other churches that caused me to form an opinion about them.  This limited what I knew to other people's opinion (most of which didn't really know much about the group they were advising me on). 

So, when it came to being a part of a ministerial group, I was hesitant, stemming from the lack of experiences I had while growing up, even into my twenties.  I had just formed opinions based on what I was told or from looking at churches from the outside.  But something happened whenever I became a part of a ministerial group, I started seeing people from other churches a bit differently.  I became close enough to ask questions about their faith and getting their answers, rather than going off of what I was told or presumed.  Even if I didn't theologically agree, I would know firsthand.  I have even took the opportunity to step foot in the buildings of other churches to see what they looked like.  I have had the opportunity to experience a few church's worship styles based on the opportunities to join in with them for special worship events (Thanksgiving, July 4th, etc.).  This allowed me to see what they were really like.

The Church of Christ, where I attend, has something significantly different in our worship settings than most all other churches in Colby.  Maybe you know about that significant difference; maybe you don't.  It is the fact that we traditionally sing without instruments.  If you've never experienced what this is like, you may be surprised.  Don't presume it is uninteresting based on face value.

I have made the mistake of judging what other churches did or believed based on an opinion that didn't come from firsthand knowledge. I have found that opinions should be formed after one experiences something for themselves.  Whether that opinion is about a religious organization or a person, don't "judge a book by its cover".  Check things out for yourself and then decide.


Facebook Digg it Google Technorati Twitter MySpace Gmail
Yahoo! My Web del.icio.us Stumbleupon Reddit Windows Live

Social Bookmarking Links

No comments: