Thursday, March 18, 2010

Where Are You When Your People Go Into Battle?

Everyone has their own leadership style, from no leadership abilities to an extreme I can't even describe.  Most will meet in the middle somewhere.  The view of a leader usually takes us back to elementary school when we think of the person who was the "line leader".  Where were they at...the front.  Where was the teacher at making sure that all their students were in line and ready to go...at the front.  Where is the table of the leaders at a banquet...at the front.  


The front is where we normally think of the position of leaders.  However, there can only be one front.  Just like there can only be one "first place", all others are non-winners.  If you are competing for the front spot you may be disappointed.  Sometimes leaders are often viewed as a hero, when they have done something significant.  That brings us to this week's quote...
It doesn't take a hero to order men into battle.  It takes a hero to be one of those men who goes into battle. 
~ General Norman Schwarzkopf
It could be very easy to lead from the porch.  To dictate one's landscaping project, and then to take all the credit for it when an award came.  It is easy to not lift a finger, but it is much more difficult to actually get into the project and work. 


I have developed a "lead by example" leadership style.  If I am going to expect others to do something, then I had better do it myself.  If I was going to suggest something to someone, I had better be doing that same thing or something comparable.  I also listen very similarly.  If someone were to suggest for me to do something, I look to see how they are coming at it, by example or by dictating?  I think the first is much more effective.


So, the next time you are thinking of sending someone into battle, make sure that you are right there beside them and not on the porch!

No comments: