Thursday, April 1, 2010

Achieving a New "PR" (personal record)

If you are not one of the lucky ones to always win a race or a contest, then this week is for you.  I loved sports, but I was not a competitor, but a participant.  I decided that I could run the mile better than I could throw a shot put (though you don't actually throw it).  I quickly learned I wasn't competitive, so I vowed to use it to stay in shape and to not get last, also to break the 6-minute mark.  Most of those I didn't keep; however, I had fun, anyway.  That brings us to this week's quote...

If you cannot win the race, make the one ahead of you break the record. ~William Ward
I know a lot of people in the racing context that try to get "PRs" (personal records) each time they go out to race.  That is a great goal.  Whether you are at the back of the pack, the front of the pack, or in the middle, competing against yourself is a great motivator. 

Yourself has achieved the latest time/mark.  Someone else may be "too good" for you to even make it to, so it may be out of reach to get to them, which may cause you to become depressed that you can't make it.

Keep going...don't compare yourself or your race to others.  Each race is put in front of you to have a new "PR"!

I cheer you on in your race as you seek to achieve a new PR!

No comments: