Thursday, April 22, 2010

Teacher's Aid - "Budget Cuts"

Why is it that one of the most needed occupations in the world are in such jeopardy?  My wife and I both have a heart for education.  She has an elementary education degree, and I was in the process of pursuing an art education degree when I routed myself toward an exercise science degree.  Every so often we discuss the question that I posed at the beginning.  Along those same lines, why is it that people in college and pro athletics can make an outrageous amount of money, but those who are trying to mold young minds make very little, in comparison?  From working in the athletic field, prior to preaching, I do know a little about the hows and whys of this question.  

In the state of Kansas our education monies are looking pretty bleak. This is causing many schools to really tighten up their budgets.  Some are finding ways to "cut the fat" and keep the meat.  However, if this trend continues, then what?  Will our schools look "anorexic" as we will be trimming so much meat that their health will deteriorate?  I hope not!

I realize that your future is concerning you.  I realize that you may have some sleepless nights. I realize I am not going to be able to prevent either of those two things.  

What I do want you to do is use each day as a new day and a new opportunity to make a difference in kids' lives.  Whether that is one or one thousand, you have the ability to make a positive difference.  I want you to allow the passions you had/have for education to propel you to greatness in the lessons you plan and present.  

If you are having some difficulty with your passion, maybe you can use some of these movies for inspiration (in no particular order)...Mona Lisa Smile, Ron Clark Story, Glory Road, Hoosiers, Facing the Giants, or Coach Carter.  I know I am probably forgetting some.  All of these involve education in one form or another. All of these give me inspiration to keep going if I am ever going through a slump.   

Is the financial state of your school's budget affecting you negatively, to the point that it is distracting?  I cheer you on as you pursue each day looking forward to helping inspire a young mind.  As I write this, I am getting ready to sub tomorrow and am looking forward to the students that will be in the classroom and how I will be able to have a one-day, one-hour opportunity to impress something positive onto them.  

If you are going to have a job next year, count your blessings.  If you are retiring, count your blessings.  If you are not going to have a job in education next year, still count your blessings.  Whether it is in the classroom, on the field, in the office, or anywhere else, you can make a positive difference in someone's life.  Go out and do exactly that!  Have a great rest of the year!

No comments: