Thursday, May 13, 2010

What Are We Busy About?

Tasks…we all have them.  We all have things on our plates to do during a day.  Even if one is retired and their task is to take seven different medications and have coffee with friends, during a given day, those are still tasks to complete.  However, what happens at the end of all those tasks, how did we come out any better?
I have a job where there are tasks involved and it can be difficult to rest until the tasks are completed.  However, sometimes I feel that though the tasks are completed there isn’t much to ultimately show for it.  In most of those cases, that is where I am confident God is working in places I am not.
Are you busy?  If so, what are you busy with?  That brings us to this week’s quote…
It is not enough to be busy, so are the ants. The question is, "What are we busy about?"  ~ Henry David Thoreau
As I look out the window of my office, I see some birds flying around in the dampness of the day.  They are not simply staying in their nest all day, they, too, have tasks to complete.  However, I think that they are not just busy, they have a busyness that accomplishes something.
In life, may our busyness accomplish something.  May we not be busy just to be busy.  May we be heading to a goal, even if the goal is not tangible. May we not just scurry around on earth as busy-bodies, or drift from week to week in church without accomplishing much.  May we use the time and talent that God has given us and make the best of each day!

No comments: