Thursday, July 8, 2010

Making the Iron Hot

A couple of weeks ago I was using a hexagon-shaped screwdriver bit to try to remove screws from a bed.  The bit had been used before and it was also a “cheapy”.  Nevertheless, the bit was now rounded on the edges at the depth which I needed to effectively unscrew the bolt.  Running out of options and being frustrated with the situation, I went out to the garage and decided to grind down the bit so that it would get to the place where the edges weren’t rounded and it could be effective in completing my mission.
 
Grinding down caused friction, which caused the device to be hot.  I could see it in the medal as the temperature was increasing. Logically, I didn’t touch it and it also wasn’t hot at all until I put it against the grinding wheel for a few moments.
It doesn’t take much for the metal to become hot…that brings us to this week’s quote…
Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking.  ~ William B. Sprague
Life can tend to cause us to be safe in things.  We tend not to want to ruffle feathers or walk out to the edge.  We tend to think that we cannot do something due till ___ happens.

That screwdriver bit was not hot before I put it against the grinding wheel.  Your dreams, aspirations, or problems are not going to change until you “make it hot by striking”.  What do you have going on in your mind that is waiting to be struck?

Don’t wait…make it hot by striking!!!

No comments: