Monday, August 16, 2010

Rejoice & Be Glad

When I was home throughout the summer I would seem to find some moments to complain about being “bored”.  Then, there were other times when I saw that my friends had material things that I wanted.  In both situations, I was challenged to see how fortunate I was with the life I was given…family, material things, health, logic, etc.

It is so easy to think about what is not going right in your life.  You may want to “wallow” a bit in what is not going right.  To be forced to look at the positives in life may not be what you really would like to do.

As I read through the verses from 1-12 in Matthew 5, I saw that the person who is a Christian, should look at their life as fortunate.  Fortunate in many ways.  As we think about how fortunate we are, here are some applications to choose from to use this week.

  1. Blessings versus Burdens ~ I steal this from an idea my wife uses for a lesson. However, the concept is to focus more on the blessings in your life versus the burdens.  It is needed for us to look at good things that are happening.
  2. Blessed ~ When we’re poor, we’re blessed. When we mourn, we’re blessed. When we’re meek, we’re blessed. When we hunger for right-ness, we’re blessed. When we’re full of mercy, we’re blessed.  When we’ve got a heart that is pure, we’re blessed. When we’re makers of peace, we’re blessed. When we’re persecuted, we’re blessed.  WOW! How fortunate are we to be able to blessed!
  3. Pressing on to the Reward ~ Having some moments in running, I remember how much the finish line would be of encouragement to me.  Just keep on going, through the end! As we think about the rough times in life, may we be encouraged to keep going through the end as the reward is worth everything!

Christians should think of their days as fortunate or “yes” days regardless of the “type” of day they are having.  The reason, they have a great reward that is beyond anything imaginable.

If your “home” is heaven…rejoice and be glad!

No comments: