Thursday, September 9, 2010

When Parachutes Function Properly

My son has a few shows he really likes to watch.  Thanks to the invention of the DVR (digital video recorder) it makes it easy for him to have shows to watch.  One of the shows he likes to watch is called “Special Agent OSO” (pronounced oh-so).  If you don’t have kids you probably won’t be looking for this to watch.  It is a spoof off of James Bond and “Get Smart”.  He goes on missions but he usually screws something up in the mean time.  But when he goes to his missions he is usually dropped out of his flying mobile and floats down with his parachute.

I have always wanted to jump out of a plane with a parachute.  However, I know there would be the big fear of the parachute not working properly.  Then, I would plummet to my probable death or be severely injured.  As long as the parachute functioned properly, all things would be presumed well.  That is kind of the way life can be, using the metaphor of a parachute, which brings us to this week’s quote…

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open.  ~ Dewar

I once went door-to-door to talk to people about their faith. My avenue was asking if they’d take a short survey with me.  People were really cooperative.  One couple I went to I will never forget. They went to a church they didn’t like but they didn’t see themselves going anywhere else.  They said “I guess we’re just set in our ways”.  I jokingly said, “Kinda like concrete?”  They said something like, “Yep, I guess so”.

Too often we can be like that couple.  We want to change, but we’re closed off to it, for various reasons.

As you go through life, think about how parachute-like your mind is…open, partially open, or closed. Open doesn’t mean you have to do something that is proposed, just that you’re open.  Remember that parachutes only function when they’re open!

No comments: