Thursday, October 28, 2010

Never Too Small

I remember when I was young and was able to sleep in during the summer, those were good times!  One of the things I also remember associated with that time of my life was the occasional house fly buzzing around my head totally annoying me. It would land on my nose just long enough for me to be bothered, I would go to swat it and it would fly away. I can remember putting the covers over my head just to “protect” myself from this little bitty fly.

It was also during that time that I was going through a rough point of social development in my life.  As I’ve shared before, having a father as a principal during the adolescent years was not the most enjoyable thing for me.  I wanted to be something because I saw practically everyone else as “something” and it was difficult not to envy what they were doing or able to do.

How would “little ol’ me” be able to make any difference at all? That brings us to this week’s quote…
“If you think you are too small to make a difference, you've never had a mosquito in your bedroom.”  ~ Unknown
My small, difference maker was not a mosquito but a fly, that was in my bedroom.  Regardless, it made a big difference.  It didn’t allow me to sleep peacefully.  It bothered me greatly.

As I have grown, I realize that small things can make a big difference.  A kind word during a rough day. A small gift can lift up someone when they need to know someone cares. A paid check can make someone’s day. Oh the possibilities are endless.

Another way to make a difference is to go after something that you would like to see changed which benefits others. Who do single parents find to babysit? Maybe you, little you, develop a program to offer single parents a person who will volunteer to watch their children.

You may be one, small person, so how are you going to make a difference?

No comments: