Monday, December 6, 2010

The Package: Ordering

I long for the days of childhood where I was able to go through the “Wish Book” (Christmas department store catalog) and look for the toys I wanted. I knew I wouldn’t get al those toys, but it was fun to look at them to see what toys I wished I had or hoped I’d receive. I would guess that there were a few of the years that my parents ordered a toy or two that I’d picked out. They were probably so excited to give it to me and see the look on my face when I opened it.

This time of year is busy with ordering. UPS hires extra help during the holidays to compensate for the extra demands placed on them from people ordering. (I would guess other carriers do the same) I know of a guy who used to work for UPS and he would sometimes get home as late as 9:00 PM, then turn around to go back the next morning. Long days!

Sunday, we focused our attention toward the idea of a “package”, specifically on the ordering of a package. Here are some applications to choose from to use this week…

  • The Reason ~ When you order something there is a reason for ordering it. We do not order for just any reason. Even if the reason is “you want it” there is still a reason. To order this package is no different. There must be a reason. The “reason” may be difficult to recognize, which is why many people do not order this package, they pass by it in the “Wish Book” set of options. Evaluate if there is a reason to need this package in your life…the reason should be separation from God (aka sin)…is that in your life or has it been…if so, you’d better order this package!
  • Multiple Choice ~ When you are shopping for a paper shredder, there are various choices. Number of pages shredded. Strips vs. pieces. Credit card and CD able. Speed. Basket size. The list goes on. When it comes to this package people will have certain requirements. When-it-is-convenient option. Let-me-do-my-own-things option. Give-it-all-up-for-Him choice. You can determine if this package is worth it to create the third option in your life. The others are simply said in a “I’ll dabble in it” rather than “I’ll live it”.  You can choose, but you might want to evaluate it closely.
  • Ordered Package ~ Just as there is a reason for ordering the package, the package itself is selected just for that need. When we are separated from God because of our sins (Isaiah 59:2) that is a good reason for ordering this package. It is just what you need to get you back into that relationship with Him!  Take advantage of it and “order” the Package!

This package is the best thing for all of us. It is the “gift” we didn’t ask for that was simply the most perfect package ever!  I remember getting walkie talkies and exclaiming “How did Santa know I wanted these”, because they were not on my list. The short answer regarding this question, He simply knew. God knows what we need!  That’s why He provided the solution, found in “the package”.

Enjoying the “package” that God provided!

No comments: