Thursday, March 31, 2011

How Do You Carry?

Recently, I was talking to my wife, after seeing our niece carry our 7 month old around, about the way girls carry small children “on their hip.” You have probably seen this be performed, if you haven’t carried a child that way yourself. The carry is to the side, on top of the hip bone.

My comment leaned toward not understanding how girls typically carry children like that. I cannot do that, and it be comfortable. I will carry kids on the front, somewhere – right or left or with both arms.

Given that, everyone carries children differently, but we all still carry them. Some like to carry on the front, in a harness-like apparatus. As they get a bit older, you may carry them on your shoulders or piggy-back. It is all different, but it is all carrying.  This brings us to this week’s quote…

Everybody carries some type of burden. It's how you carry it that counts!  ~ George Bernard Shaw

How do you carry your burdens? Around your arms, on your hip, on your shoulders, piggy-back, or in a back pack? Maybe you just load them up in the back of your figurative pick-up. Maybe you put them in a box and push them around on a dolly (aka hand truck) and take them wherever you go.

The Bible instructs us to do two things with our burdens: 1) give them to Him (I Peter 5:7*), 2) give them to others to help us with them (Galatians 6:2**).

The way I carry a small child may be easier in certain ways than others, either way I am going to carry the child. It is up to me to decide how. The same goes for you, my friend, you can carry your burdens any way you decide to. Some are easier than others, but how you do it is up to you. The best way is to combine the two ways the Bible instructs.  Carry on!

-------------------------------------------------------------

*I Peter 5:7 – Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. (NIV)

**Galatians 6:2 – Carry each other's burdens , and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ. (NIV)

No comments: