Thursday, May 26, 2011

How Much Can You See?

How far can you see?

If you were to look out into an open field, how far could you see? If you were to look at the same field with binoculars, how far could you see? If you could look out with a telescope, how far could you see?

These instruments do allow us to see farther, and in some ways more. However, our sight is really dependent on us allowing ourselves to see what we see.

When I want my son to look at me when I am trying to explain something, he occasionally will close his eyes. Why? Because he doesn't want to see. If I were to put binoculars up to his eyes at that particular moment when he closes his eyes it would not help him see any more. He has chosen to keep the eyes closed. His vision is impaired due to his own choosing and it will not improve with any type of vision "enhancer" like binoculars or a telescope. That idea brings us to this week's quote...

Your vision is only as powerful as your commitment to pursue it! ~ Unknown

To see what you want in life is your choice. Some may throw the idea of “circumstances” into the equation, but even with circumstances, what you see is up to you.

Maybe you want to be a doctor, but you are in a situation where you cannot make it in to medical school. What can you see, regardless, that helps you get closer to that vision?

Most will stop at the dead end. However, see something else in the situation. The wall is only in front of you. What opportunities are you not seeing that is to the left, right, around the corner, or over the top?

The wall is like an eyelid that comes down to reduce the vision. If you were to look at that wall with binoculars, you wouldn’t see much. However, think about what you can still can see and pursue that.

May we go beyond what we can see and still pursue our vision!

2 comments:

Lynn Hare said...

Right away "How much can you see?" got me thinking about all kinds of lenses - glasses, binoculars, periscopes, and more.

The concept of a wall - as an eyelid that comes down to reduce the vision - intrigues me. Maybe God has more in mind than that which is clearly in our path.

"What opportunities are you not seeing that is to the left, right, around the corner, or over the top?" When I pray, I desire to see things with the eyes of God & His fresh perspective. Some days that's easier than others.

One day not long ago God showed me that I was viewing my world as though viewing the stars at night with a high-powered telescope. Only thing was, I had the telescope inverted. I was looking at myself - too introspective. Jesus gently took it, turned it around, and gave me a more rounded encounter - His view -reaching out to help others.

Unknown said...

Lynn ~

It definitely should be our prayer to see things with "His" eyes. This has so many "views" when it comes to what He sees in this world.

We see someone we judge, He sees possibility.

We see problems, He sees opportunity.

We see opportunity, He sees problems.

Encouraging to hear of other people's moment with the Father and/or Savior and the lesson you learned.