Monday, June 20, 2011

How Do You Paint Your Dad?

What are some of your positive memories of your father?

Father's play such an important role in the development of a child. I can see that first hand in the development of my children. Father's naturally tend to be the "rough" parent. They tend to wrestle more and do some of the more risky things. They like to say "rub some dirt on it." Whereas the mom will tend to shy away from some of those things. Single parents have to adapt, but as much as they try, cannot substitute for the two-parent families.

I think most will agree they don't appreciate their parents as much until they become parents themselves. With that, we don't appreciate our fathers as much until we leave. Sunday, we focused on the idea of how do we "paint" or honor our fathers? What color do we paint them in so that it positively affects the way our friends and family see them?

As we think about that, here are some applications to choose from to use this week...

  • Paint Positively ~ As everyone has faults, that is common knowledge, but the specific faults of others, people don't know about. Plus, when you disclose faults it can cause the receiver to have a tainted view of the person you are referencing. So, paint positively!
  • Choose Your Color Wisely ~ Picking colors will affect the mood and aura of a room. As you think about your dad, choose colors that all kind of people like.
  • Paint Often ~ Use days throughout the year to let Dad know how much he is appreciated. Thank him through letters, phone calls, text messages, Facebook, notes around the house or in his vehicle, etc. These will be greatly received!


Father's day, and days like it, are great to say how much you are thinking of them. However, use other times to let them know they are appreciated and speak as kind as possible in every situation about them in front of others!

Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.1

2 comments:

Lynn Hare said...

I recently honored my 80-year-old dad by making a couple of DVDs relating funny & cool memories of our family when I was growing up. I added upbeat audio tracks and up-tempo youtube clips to round it out. It expressed appreciation for specific memories. It was light-hearted, joyful in nature.

This year my brother & sisters and I sent him tickets to a dinner theater and some Itunes gift cards, which he likes. I sent a homemade card.

My father recently apologized for raising my brother & sisters & me so harshly - with abuse. That gave God (and me) a wide-open door to demonstrate the grace and forgiveness of Christ in the here and now. "I forgive you!" This season feels like "happily-ever-after" to me.

Happy Father's Day!

Unknown said...

Lynn ~

That sounds like a neat way to honor your dad for his birthday!

I would guess it was difficult for him to admit the mistakes he had made, probably wishing he could take back time to do it over again, better.

I am glad you took the opportunity to "demonstrate grace and forgiveness" with him. Since we're all sinners, it is always nice to know that "while we were still sinners Christ died for [Lynn and her father]" (Romans 5:8)

Thanks for sharing!