Thursday, July 7, 2011

Champions Are Not Made In the Ring

Who will be the winner of the 2015 Cy Young award(major league baseball pitching award)? What about 2018 NCAA Wrestling National Champion in the 150 weight range? 2022 Women's Wimbledon Champion?

All those are hardly even predictable because they are so far off. I will guarantee that those people are working hard in their field to try to achieve that goal. It is probably not just one person that is preparing for those events but several are looking forward to that day, whether they realize it or not.

These individuals are going to have an understanding that they will be crowned on those dates, not before. This brings us to this week's quote...

Grind! Practice! Grind! Practice! Champions are not made in the ring they are merely recognized there." ~ Joe Frazier


I don't believe that the only players that are successful stay after practice. There are several successful ones that have practiced those traits and it payed off for them. However, I think that a person who is dedicated to their field, putting in the time to improve their skills, will do well in the long run.

This week's quote has a lot of truth woven in it. At game time, it demonstrates how well you've been putting in work prior to the game. It is like a comparison of the results of a test, which are going to be reflective of how well you studied.

As you go through life, may you put in the time and effort outside "the ring" so that you will be recognized once you're inside "the ring."

2 comments:

Lynn Hare said...

When I pray for people, they sometimes seem surprised at the depth of Scripture and nature of my prayers (though I am certainly not an expert and am still learning much).

Here's the deal: I've learned much of what I know from tough times, days of anger in difficult trials, days of rejection, and days of cycles of overwhelming physical pain. In those times I have reached out for God and the Bible. In those days, I pressed in to Him, no matter what it cost.

I agree with you - when we put in our time and effort outside the ring, that's where the match is won.

Unknown said...

Praying specifically helps me in my prayer life. "Getting better" is a phrase I try to avoid in my prayer. I like to specifically ask for something.

Yes, the trials in life do help us to understand things better. Leaning on Him is as much a challenge as it is rewarding...for those that don't see the cross as "folly."

Thanks for the comments, Lynn.