Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Producing the Pearl

When I was dating my wife, pearl rings were given as a traditional "promise ring." My wife was three states away from where I was living at the time. I had no clue on the "tradition" where she was living. Thinking diamonds were more "valuable" than a pearl, I went with a diamond ring that had two interlocked hearts. It basically was diamond "pieces" in one heart and gold making up the other heart. I liked it; come to find out, she didn't. I should have listened to a she-friend that said, "not all girls like hearts."

The value of the pearl was off the radar for me. I thought it looked too much like costume jewelry. Diamonds were where you find the value. However, it is diamonds in a certain setting that is good. The pearl has a lot of value and it is quite pretty when looked at with the proper perspective. That brings us to this week's quote...

A pearl is a beautiful thing that is produced by an injured life. It is the tear [that results] from the injury of the oyster. The treasure of our being in this world is also produced by an injured life. If we had not been wounded, if we had not been injured, then we will not produce the pearl. ~ Stephan Hoeller

When a person lifts weights or participates in some other strenuous activity, the muscle fibers actually tear. This tearing will come in with additional muscle and will eventually become "bigger." Tearing has its advantages. Tearing in the oyster produces a beautiful pearl. A stone that many have several of in their jewelry collections. However, that beautiful stone comes as a result of a tear.

Life tears at different points and in different ways and to different degrees. But I think for all of us, we have tears in life. We use a phrase "tears my heart" or "tore my heart out" to indicate that we are hurt over a situation. Tearing has it's benefits. My question for you is, how has it benefited you?

I think I have grown by many tears in life. The "muscle fiber" that has come in and made me stronger was painful but that didn't mean I want it to happen anytime soon!

1 comment:

Lynn Hare said...

Jarrod, today's blog entry is awesome!

You pose an interesting question. I've experienced torn down muscle before building it up. When I started an aerobics class, for example, I was sore for the first couple of weeks. But after the painful strain, the muscles began to take shape as I built up strength, speed, flexibility, and endurance.

I suppose much the same thing happens in the spirit realm. We are torn down (humbled, brought to face our sin & inadequacies apart from God's power & strength) before we're built up.

I'm glad for the oysters in my life - the pearls produced by irritants and tears were well worth the price.