Thursday, September 15, 2011

How the World Treats You

One of my areas where I lack mercy is when people feel they "deserve" a certain type of treatment or they are "owed" sort of treatment. I think that people are going to be treated the way they "advertise" themselves. Whether it is conduct, attitude, the way they dress, the friends they choose, etc. With all those in mind, the outsider should not judge a book by its cover. However, the cover helps explain what is in the book.

When we expect certain treatment "just because" then we are selling ourselves short of any responsibility on our own for how we are treated. That brings us to this week's quote...
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian. ~ Dennis Wholey

Why should those around you treat you a certain way? What is it that you "deserve" to be treated a certain way? Common decency says kindness should be our first response. But when a person starts to not appreciate the kindness then what?

I deal frequently with benevolent help, in my line of work. There are times that resources are offered and that is not good enough. One person said they didn't think they should have to "beg" for help. I replied, "You're not begging, I'm offering." Overall, he was getting defensive and didn't appreciate the kindness.

He was expecting a certain type of treatment, something beyond kindness. I wasn't giving him what he wanted.

Now it's your turn...What do you think of this week's quote?

1 comment:

Lynn Hare said...

Expecting the world to that you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian. ~ Dennis Wholey

(Perhaps quote is "Expecting the world to treat you fairly...")

I think I surround myself with Believers so often,that I expect everyone to respond as Christians should. But those who don't know Christ are dead in the spirit, so it's a whole different ball game.

I pray for people often. Encourage them a lot. And hope the bull likes the vegetarian pizza I'm throwing at him as I clear the wall in a leap to get away from him!