Thursday, September 8, 2011

Progressive Minded

When I was a young child to teen and I would go visit my extended family (most lived in the same town at the time) I didn't want to spend much time with my mom's side of the family. This was basically because there were no cousins near my age and the only thing that seemed to happen at my maternal grandmother's house (or later on, my maternal aunt's house) would be visiting. It was boring to me. Nothing to do (except get into trouble with my brother). I would ask and ask and ask if I could go over to my cousin's house, on my dad's side. I loved it there. So much to do! He always seemed to have the coolest toys - including a pinball machine and a go cart!

I could not simply sit around. I wanted to be moving and going in the direction of my cousin. That was where happiness was for me.

In life, things should be the same way. To sit around means we are not going anywhere. To be moving toward a goal means we are heading into something usually better. That brings us to this week's quote...
Happiness and success are to be found in forward motion. ~ Unknown
As I minister in a church, I aim to get people going. I think that having a "happy" faith-life, you need to be moving also. If we are not going anywhere, we are simply stagnate. To be progressive sometimes will have a bad rapport with people. Thinking one is "liberal" in their theological mindset. On the contrary, one can be the most conservative, but yet still be moving forward - it may simply be a bit slower than others.

Whether you are a business person or a patron, moving forward has its definite successes. May you find them in your daily tasks, as well as, your epic tasks! 


Now it's you're turn!

What do you think? Can there be happiness and success found when you're moving forward? Feel free to leave a comment...  

2 comments:

Lynn Hare said...

Jarrod,
Interesting that our posts were about the same topic this week. I, too, am hearing in prayer that God takes us forward.

Kind of like the sign we see sometimes, "Warning. Severe tire damage. Do not back up." God leads us forward and directs us away from past pain as he speaks present-future over our identities. I've got to lose hurt and unforgiveness from the past if I want to experience the rich grace of God for my future. God's presence feels more tangible to me when I forgive others.

Sometimes I don't feel that in my emotions, but I trust in faith that it's taking place. We sow seeds. God provides the increase. Plants only grow... they can't regress.

Unknown said...

Lynn ~

I did like your post, on the "Warning."

I think we can still experience grace for the future still with hurt and unforgiveness, but it weighs us down. Our progress doesn't go as quickly.

I enjoy thinking about the goal of plants and how they know to grow and reproduce. They may not like the wind or temperatures, but all they know is to grow and reproduce. They are not arguing with their creator that it's too cold or hot or no water or too much water. They just do it!