Thursday, November 3, 2011

Does Being Late Make You Jolly?

How do you respond when you are late? Or what does your posture reveal?

I work in an environment in which people are late all the time. They aren't late to a "job" but for an appointment - Bible class or the church assembly/worship. We are slated to start at 9:30 AM on a Sunday morning, but I know it is unlikely to start at that time. I usually start my class about five minutes after.

As much as it may irritate me, my irritation generally is much bigger than their shame of being late...why? That brings us to this week's quote...
I have noticed that the people who are late are often so much jollier than the people who have to wait for them.
I do not know who said this quote, but I wonder which side they were on?

Is it because they are embarrassed and they are trying to "laugh it off?" Is it because they just don't care? Is it because the ones that are irritated are at a higher irritation than the one on the other scale?

To know why people who are late may be more jolly than those who are not may be an unanswerable question. However, the outcome does seem like it is possible and I've seen people who are late and do seem more jolly than those who are not late.

May we not be late just to see if we are jolly...be on time to make everyone happy!

Now it's your turn...how'd you answer the question?

2 comments:

Katie said...

I try not to be late, so if I am, it is because of traffic, or maybe things just weren't going my way. When I arrive at my destination, I am happy that those frustrations are over and now I can learn or worship or do whatever it is that I intended.

Unknown said...

Katie ~

Thanks for your comment!

Having a family of young kids, we've been late more than I would like!

It is nice to be at the destination and no longer be looking at the clock! (At least that's what I do)

It's an interesting concept - the relationship to being jolly when you are late.

Have a great week!