Monday, January 2, 2012

212 - The Extra Degree

What motivates you? Maybe it is certain types of music or movies you've seen. Maybe a regimen of particular activities. We're all motivated by something.

Sometimes I am motivated by the mood. Basically, when I get in the mood (or mode) to do something, I am geared up and ready. Something pushes me to the point when I am on a mission to get something done and not stop till it is finished. Until that point is met, I will generally procrastinate, unfortunately.

212-degrees is the boiling point of water. Up to 211 is just hot water. In 2012 I am challenging people to go that extra degree from 211 to 212. That is what we looked at Sunday in our lesson. Here are some applications to choose from to use this week...
  • Extra for Others ~ Is there someone you see that needs something today*? Maybe a prayer, a laugh, a smile, a hug, a touch of encouragement/assurance, a note/text/e-mail? I know you're busy, but go that extra degree and do something for that person. It may not be a person you even know. (*today is whenever its needed)
  • Extra in Times of Mistreatment ~ It can really stink when you are not being treated the way that you want to be treated. When you are in the middle of not being treated correctly (justified or unjustified) you may have a hard time "turning the other cheek" or letting it roll off your back. It takes me back to Jesus when He was hanging on the cross and "He hurled no insults" nor "any deceit found in His mouth." That is an amazing example of going the extra degree in times of mistreatment.
  • Extra in Your Family ~ Families are probably the people that get to see the real side of you. This oftentimes means they get to see the downfalls. The times when we are upset, short, frustrated, slamming doors, saying "French" words, slamming fists, tantrums...and the list could continue. Some of these times are results of how a family member acts or treats you. This is probably in the biological family most of the time, but it can also hold true for the spiritual family. Try to go beyond all of that this year, go the extra degree and hold out the hand of grace, mercy, or forgiveness.
This month (January 2012) we are being challenged to do the extra things, go from 211 to 212 degrees. Become boiling to produce a power that can impact people's lives for good. Some areas of going the extra degree may not be able to be planned - it may have to be something you mentally plan so you'll be prepared when the time comes.

Now it's your turn...what will you try to do in 2012?

4 comments:

Lynn Hare said...

I'll take your challenge. I'm going to go one degree higher with my adult sons (21 and 23). Those relationships are choppy and have rough edges. I am going to say something especially encouraging to them every day for one week.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Unknown said...

Lynn ~

I think it is neat you are "taking the challenge" by trying to make relationships with your sons better!

Lynn Hare said...

I hugged, texted, and actively encouraged my 2 adult sons for a week. I was rewarded with a text from Ben (23), "I've really enjoyed your encouragement the last few days. You rock!"

This last week made me actively look for things to acknowledge...and now has me doing that every day.

There's the 212th degree, for sure. Thanks for the challenge, Jarrod.

Unknown said...

Lynn ~

That is so great that something positive has come about through the challenge!

Not only has the "challenge" been effective, but your relationship improved!

I'd enjoy hearing about your relationship with your other son.

Have a great weekend!