Thursday, April 26, 2012

The People You Meet

You really can meet some interesting people when you are traveling and have to take public transportation to the airport.

The day has come that I am finally coming home from Atlanta. I have missed my family tremendously. Their little-big hugs are being yearned for by my neck.

As I am leaving the hotel I must take a shuttle to the subway (MARTA) stop. Our party is combined with another group from our conference and I am placed next to a lady from Green Bay (WI). We exchanged backgrounds and touched on the information from the conference.

After I was on the MARTA I started a discussion with a grad student from the Atlanta area. We had a good visit as he was interested in hearing about our team's work. He stayed on for about half of the trip, then exited at his stop.

Right before the young man had exited, a man got on the MARTA, sat down in front of me and opened his Bible and started reading. I couldn't help but notice being a minister. He was reading from the book of John. I asked him if he was reading for fun or otherwise. He said for fun, as his Bible class was studying John and he had already read the required reading. I told him I was a minister and we had a short visit about church and faith.

Since boarding the MARTA I had noticed a retired couple sitting across the aisle from me with luggage. Naturally, I presume they are going on a trip. After inquiring I find out they live in Atlanta and they are flying to Baltimore to visit family. Grandparents take every chance they can to visit grandkids!

They shared about their kids and asked about where I was from. After telling them, the husband said he had been to my town before the interstate was completed, which was pre-1970. The MARTA made it to the airport stop and hundreds of people rushed off.

After arriving at the airport, I eventually made it to the security line. If you haven't flown ever or since "9/11" this can be a long line. Today, in "one-of-America's-busiest-airports" the line was long and slow.
During that long line I met a lady going to Michigan who, after mentioning that fact, was picked up in conversation by the man in front of her.

So, after a few minutes of deciding whether or not to inquire about the gentleman behind me, I "went for it." Turns out he was a chemist of German descent, working for a Swiss company, traveling with an Indian colleague from Atlanta to Tampa. Travel is a natural part of his week. We had a good conversation. When I took out my 17" laptop for security check he "whoa'd" about how big it was, for his was a 10-12". After security we said "goodbye" and parted ways.

Then I eventually met up with my team and boarded the plane home, sitting by my colleague and the window.

My flight is not over, but this portion of describing my adventures in talking to people have come to a close.

I don't know if I will ever cross paths with these individuals again. However, what I do know is that I made it a point to bring something positive to them and that is a way I can share my faith and have fun doing it.

People, get to know people, it can be very interesting.

No comments: