Monday, April 16, 2012

Rewarding the Undeserving

My kids are pretty much spoiled. They are being given so much more than they deserve. Whether it is by us, as parents, their grandparents, or by the various others. I am continually impressed, and thankful, by the number of people who will give them things and show their generosity by "doing" for them. I love my kids as much as any parent can but have to admit they are blessed as well as spoiled!

If you're like me you've probably felt that "I didn't deserve this" kind of feeling. Something in your life that you were given was more than you thought you deserved. As much as those moments are humbling, it is still nice to receive them. I remember being given some additional scholarship money in college that was not being "used" so they thought of me. It wasn't a lot but every little bit helped. I was sincerely grateful and honored that I would be chosen. It was given by a high administrator and it felt good to be on his radar.

Sunday, we looked at the story in Matthew (8:5-13) that dealt with the Roman Centurion's servant being healed. This story is more about the Centurion than the servant. Here are some applications to choose from to use this week...

  • I Don't Deserve Jesus ~ If you are saying this and believing it, essentially, you are correct. There is nothing about what God allowed Christ to do on the cross which we deserve. Think about how sin takes away our relationship with God. God is pure; sin is impure. Why would we deserve to be made pure...simply put - LOVE. However, though you don't deserve Him, He still loves you. May we ever-appreciate that!
  • Delayed Reward ~ "Two hamburgers, large fries, and a medium Coke. Is that everything?" "Yes." "That will be $5.39." You've probably heard something like that in your life. Possibly even today. After we order we plan on receiving those two hamburgers, the fries and drink at the last window. We expect to not wait more than a few minutes - even on a slow day. The problem comes about when we think our rewards from God will be that fast. The mature mind starts to realize that God doesn't always work that way. Sometimes there will be a delay in our rewards. We must be ready to handle those delays...the rewards will come!
  • Healed Need ~ The need in the Matthew passage included the Centurion's servant. Jesus healed him based on the faith of the individual requesting the aid. That seems to be a common thread in the times Jesus heals. So maybe that is something for us to think about. Do we ask God in faith or simply selfishness? Do we hope with assurance or hope with question? That may be a factor in your prayer life and even your faith life!
For me, it is nice, to say the least, to know that I am being rewarded for something of which I am undeserving. I can reap the many benefits for something I don't deserve. What a glorious feeling! May I keep from taking it for granted.

Now it's your turn...what have you ever received that you were not deserving of? It can be from a spiritual point of view, but even materially speaking.

No comments: