Thursday, August 16, 2012

Envying Those Who Do

When I was in eighth grade I remember a teammate coming up to me in the middle of basketball season who wanted to quit. He was also wanting me to quit with him. We were not the stars of the team and rarely had any playing time. We were some who went in during the last few seconds of a game, unless we were up by a good margin. I acknowledged the fact that I was more of a "participant" rather than a "competitor." However, I wasn't going to simply quit and as a result, he didn't quit either.

I would be lying if I didn't say that it was the most enjoyable time in my life. Who enjoys going through all the conditioning to simply sit for most of the game? Not being involved in the game tends to be challenging for one's morale. Hence, my teammate's low morale. I was in it to be more "in shape" for track, rather than think I was going to be a basketball star.

Later in life, despite my lack of basketball talent, I found a way to be intimately involved in a successful basketball team. I also naturally became more talented at the sport through physical maturity, even if I didn't officially play. I was involved by being a trainer for the teams and had developed such a passion for it that I was respected. I want you to pay attention to the word "involved" in that last sentence. That is really the key in this week's thought, which brings us to this week's quote...

The few who do are the envy of the many who only watch. ~ Jim Rohn
There have been many days in which I wish I could do what others are doing. I used to umpire and developed a true love for it. Putting on the uniform was something I felt proud of doing. Now, when I watch a game, I watch the umpires more than I watch a baseball/softball game. As I age, I don't think I will ever be able to be umpiring again, but do envy those who do.

Do you have areas in which you envy those who do? What makes it impossible for you to not do what others are doing? If the obstacle is too great, find something else to be great at. If the obstacle is just an excuse, find a way to overcome that obstacle. You will likely enjoy it once you make it to that point.

The longer you stay away from being "in the game" the more you will not enjoy the game. The more you are involved the more you will enjoy.

Go out and find something that you've always wanted to be more involved in!

Now it's your turn...What is it that you envy because you tend to just watch?

No comments: