Thursday, October 4, 2012

Being In the "In Crowd"

It doesn't take long in a child's life for them to learn about the "in crowd." We all start out appreciating all people, including peers. However, whether it is from parents or society, we learn that people are going to be in specific groups. The simplest one is whether or not you are in the "in crowd."

As you continue into adulthood, there is another type of "in crowd" but many people will simply join whoever they have in common. There will be various groups. It is interesting to see those who were not in the "in crowd" in high school, but rather they became more "in" with adults.

With adulthood you can belong to a great group depending on how you operate in life. With some people you will try to keep them as friends; whereas other people you will either not care or simply not want to be friends with them. What is likely is that people will determine who you are by your friends. This brings us to this week's quote...

A man is known by the company he keeps, and also by the company from which he is kept out. ~ Grover Cleveland
Who is in your life? Have you ever noticed that people have determined who you are based on the friends you have? Of course, the friends you don't have have been determined in part, at least, by you also.

We all have circles of which we belong. Those circles are going to be categorized by others. Your circle has a category. I don't know what yours would be categorized as, but it does have a name.

Take into account those whom you allow into your close circle and those who you have not allowed into your circle. By either way, you will be categorized.

Now it's your turn...When have you been falsely categorized? When have you categorized someone else?

2 comments:

Lynn Hare said...

I wasn't too popular in public schools. I openly hung around with Christians & shared that I was a follower of Christ. I was kind of pushed aside by schools that openly rejected my faith.

Over time, I felt that God was proud of me. I stood up for what I believed in. As Cecil Murphey says, "I'd rather be rejected for what I am, than accepted for what I am not."

Unknown said...

Lynn ~

Thanks for sharing! I wasn't as bold as you are with my faith. Actually, I think my faith constricted my ability to be bold. My faith, at that time, was concerned with being the "right" religious group.

I liked the quote from Cecil!

Jarrod