Thursday, November 15, 2012

Expected Outcome

When I was a freshman in high school one of my classes was called "Beginning Shop I." Almost the whole year seemed like a waste of time. We didn't get to use one single power tool the entire year, even if we learned about them. There was one day which our whole class had been kind of goofing off and our teacher was getting frustrated with us. I don't remember what I did or didn't do, when I heard my teacher exclaim "Spence!" I responded, "What? I wasn't doing anything." He zinged me by saying, "That's the problem."

I wasn't working on my assignment so I wasn't going to have much of a chance of completing the assignment.

When it has come to getting things completed in life, procrastination or distraction can have a tendency to sneak in. I may put things off or choose to do something else instead, for the time being. What is going to happen in that time I am either putting it off or choosing to do something else is nothing. That brings us to this week's quote...

You may never know what results come from your action. But if you do nothing, there will be no result. ~ Mahatma Gandhi
What have you aimed to start in life but you did nothing to get you there. The result is predictable - the end result will be nothing.

What is something you wanted to try to pursue but haven't started yet? If you want to have the outlook you envision you need to begin. Otherwise the result will be predictable. There may be no guarantee that what you pursue you will reach, but there basically is a guarantee that what you don't pursue you won't reach.

What steps do you need to make in order to get yourself closer to your goal?

Now it's your turn...what do you need to start?

2 comments:

Lynn Hare said...

Great post, Jarrod! I need to work on my first message - which I'll take to many groups. My thoughts go something like, "But what if this message isn't worth listening to? What if nobody likes it? What if it doesn't make sense to anyone but me?"

But I'm working at trusting God. If He's called me to share this message about self-forgiveness with others, He'll also provide what it takes to reach others. I guess it's HIS message, anyway.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who got in trouble in school!

Unknown said...

Lynn ~

There are a number of Sundays that I will leave the church building thinking, "I hope someone could do something with that message." My thoughts are like that because I felt like I "struck out." There are a few times which I feel like I "got on base" and those feel good, but moments like these, I may simply wonder.

However, there have also been times when I felt like things were a complete flop, when someone will let me know how much they enjoyed it. It makes me feel a bit better, but still I go away second-guessing.

It is definitely HIS message!!!

Thanks for the comment, Lynn!