Thursday, December 6, 2012

Better Things Ahead

The past. Every person has a different one. Every person has some "skeletons" in their closet which they must deal with and try to keep in that proverbial closet. Similar to the person who "cleans" by putting everything in a closet or under a bed, the past is still present even when it is hidden. Just because we hide it does not take it away. Hiding simply takes it out of sight but not out of mind.

The past does not always mean things that we are "guilty" of or that we "did." The past can be filled with events that happened to us. Bullies, bad relationships, abuse, failure, rejection, cancer, illness, fear, and the list could continue.

I have my own set of past memories. Even though I may go on with everyday life like there really is nothing wrong, it doesn't take much to think about it and rehash some memories. However, even if I may remember the past, I know it shouldn't be forming who I am today and for the future. That brings us to this week's quote...

There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind. ~ C.S. Lewis
As I am getting a bit older, I am noticing that my body is not responding to things like it did in the past. Physically, I am bringing the past to the present - the choices of the past affect the status of the present. It is a tangible reminder.

That can be the way our choices of bringing memories and issues of the past with us into the future. You choose how the past "handles" you. Does it have a grip on you or is it simply a 'sticky note' reminder that you know its there and you can take it off very easily. Which are you going to choose?

Understandably, there are things of the past that may be to a level that you are never going to forget. I cannot imagine how some people who have encountered heinous attacks can make the future seem brighter. Similarly, other violent/shocking life experiences are going to be very traumatic on individuals. So there is no superficiality in this thought and challenge to look to the future with a sense of brightness. The key is stated above when we must understand how we are going to choose letting the past "handle" us. Are we going to take control or let the past control us?

Maybe you need to find someone who you can visit with if you haven't had your "breaking" point. If you have had that point, maybe you can think about how you are stronger than the past. If you are religious, know that God is bigger than any past issue and He can help you throw it. Look to the future, there is a brightness found there!

Now it's your turn...what memory of the past do you need release the grip of? What do you need to do to accomplish this? Feel free to leave comments...

1 comment:

Lynn Hare said...

"Forgiveness does not change the past, but it does enlarge the future." (Paul Boese)

I'm working to clear the cobwebs of some conflicts in my marriage. Keeping my eyes fixed on the future. An enlarged future. I need to spend more time in the Word. I sure get grouchy when I skip!

Lynn