Monday, September 3, 2007

Open Door: Subbing

Last Wednesday, I had the opportunity to sub in our local high school. I love doing this because it gives me a purposeful opportunity to be in the environment of the kids of the community. I hear things that I don't normally hear. I see people who I rarely see. And the reverse happens in each instance.

On one such occasion, last week, I was subbing in what most know as "home economics" class. One class was the "Foods and Nutrition" class. This is a two period class, where they will later be cooking, so extra time is needed. I finished all of what was asked of me with about 25 minutes to go in the total time. I decided to ask about what I and/or our church could do to give kids something to do. It was a total off-guard question, so, needless-to-say, they had nothing immediate to share. I didn't leave the situation disappointed. I took it as God opening a door for me to talk to them. I told them that if they ever thought of anything, they would have an opportunity any time they saw me to share their thoughts with me. I returned to my seat and shortly thereafter a student came up and was asking me questions regarding some of the thoughts I had expressed. We had a good conversation and I expressed appreciation for him coming to me. I told him any other time he wanted to, I was always open.

God is good...all the time! He makes doors open when we least expect it!

I don't consider it a defeat...regardless, I still praise Him!

What has God been doing in your life?

No comments: