Thursday, January 15, 2009

Have You Got a Second (Wind)?

As I begin to creep near mid-30's, I realize that my body is definitely not in shape. Though I have an education in exercise and the science involved with it, my personal philosophy on exercise is that I need to be working toward a goal each time I attempt to "work out". I have never received any long-term "high" from pushing weights up, letting them down, pushing them up, letting them down, and so on. The same goes with treadmills and indoor bikes. If you don't go anywhere, what's the use? My thought is, I would rather load bales of hay because I would be accomplishing something in the mean time. With that being my philosophy, I have not caught on to the exercise bug. Therefore, I am out of shape and know that it doesn't take long to need to take a breather.

Too often in life we look at goals we have, and quit before we get the chance to get a second wind. I encourage you to not give up on your goals. That brings us to this week's quote...
Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out if they've got a second. Give your dreams all you've got and you'll be amazed at the energy that comes out of you. ~ William James
I love to play sports, as I enjoy getting the chance to "move toward a goal" of scoring. Even though I may take a breather from time to time, I enjoy the opportunity to keep playing, especially when that second wind comes!

Too many of us exercise our dreams like we exercise our bodies (if you exercise your body a lot, then you may exercise your dreams like others exercise their bodies). We have not lifted, ran, swam, etc., in so long our "dream shape" is very out of shape. You may start to dream, then you "run out of breath". Go for the second wind! What do you dream for yourself, your family, your church, or your community? It will probably amaze you at the energy that comes from pursuing your dreams!

Keeping in "dream shape"...

No comments: