Sunday, January 4, 2009

One Year Ago


I call it the "curse to the parent", that feeling you get when you remember your child at a younger age, but want to see them grow up. Being an independent person, I never really appreciated hearing about the times when I was a baby, etc. I was ready to fly! Still am...however, now I fly with a wife and a son.

Oliver was born Friday, January 4th, at 4:04 in the afternoon. When my wife and I first started dating, we talked of the number of kids we wanted to have. I wanted two and she wanted four. When we were married, we waited a while before pursuing being parents. However, that wait went month after month, year after year, for eight and a half years. Then, out of the blue, (and a few weeks after watching Facing the Giants, click here to see that entry from Aubrey's blog), Aubrey wanted to take a test. We'd taken several of these throughout our marriage, all t0 turn up negative. I bought the "two pack" because we always want to make sure. I was playing Xbox on a Sunday afternoon, and she came in after taking the test... "I think you're going to have to buy me something for mother's day" she said, with tears in her eyes. Immediately I had tears in my eyes. WOW! We're going to be parents!

Oliver was the "New Year's Baby", but since we weren't from that county, where we had him, he got the "parting gift". It was still very nice. (You can read the write up by clicking here).

He is an awesome boy. People always say how "happy" he is. Last night he got to eat his first bowl of ice cream, with strawberry topping. YUM! He's basically walking all around! He only went to the doctor once, outside of well care visits, his entire first year. He's healthy...what a blessing! He's very much a "text book" baby...walking, crawling, getting teeth, all in the normal time frames. He fits into the proper sized clothes, etc. What a blessing!

My wife and I could not be any happier with him! He's the greatest! Though I am cursed with the memories of him as a baby, and wanting to hold him at 8 lbs, I am thankful for the future!

I am sure practically all parents have the feeling that I have for my son, so to say, "love your kids", would be redundant.

Thankful! Appreciative! Bursting with pride!!! As I remember one year ago and look at him now.

No comments: