Monday, March 2, 2009

"I am..." - Mark 8:27-29

Who was/is a childhood hero of yours? Someone in your class that you always looked up to? An older person that you always thought was "cool"? I bet they displayed a sense of confidence that caused your attention to gravitate toward them. Confidence is a necessary ingredient when it comes to a leader. God is a confident God. He doesn't shirk at anything. Nothing is too small for Him.

"I AM/am"...the essence of confidence. The short phrase causes me to marvel at my God. Who sends me..."I AM" does. Who heals me..."I AM". Who saves me..."I AM". What does that phrase mean to you? Yesterday, we began a study on John 11:25. First, we examined these first two words. In those two words is mind-blowing and body-numbing power. The kind of power that makes you sit up and take notice. The kind that gives you comfort in times of trial and giddyness in good times.

As you go about your week, here are some applications to choose from to put to use in your week...
  1. Look at a sunset and just say a prayer of "Thanks" to God - whether it is that simple word or something more elaborate.
  2. Reaffirm your faith by letting God you give Him your life - burdens and blessings.
  3. Take pride in the fact that you get to walk daily with this awesome God who leads, comforts, and sustains you.
  4. Tell someone how awesome your God is. Could be as a result of something positive that happened to you or how you are sustaining your faith despite a bad thing happening.
  5. Be still. Let God speak to you.
Mary & Martha had lost a brother. Jesus comes in confident. Though their brother died, Jesus knew what He could do. He tells these young ladies, "Listen, your brother is going to be OK; for I am the resurrection and the life."

Jesus is the "I am" to whatever the situation is at hand. You're thirsty, Jesus is the water. You're hungry, Jesus is the bread. You're wandering, Jesus is the Shepherd. When you have a question as to who Jesus is...he says, "I am..." and you now feel comforted.

It is a mature concept to grasp. Only few will grasp it. I am always in kindergarten marveling at what is around corner. Have you grasped it yet? I hope you will get close one day.

Appreciating "I AM"...

No comments: