Thursday, March 5, 2009

Take a Big Step, No Matter What the Size

In my life there have been instances where I was very scared/nervous about what the future would hold. One, was going to preaching school and having to ask/depend on churches and individuals to support my family. Other times were job moves and car/house purchases. Having the mindset of "supporter" for my family, a decent amount of pressure goes onto my shoulders when I am considering these options.

There have been other times in my life that I have taken a step toward a goal that may seem crazy to some. I have a tendency to "put myself out there" and see what the answer will be. I live a lot on the "I'd-rather-know-than-to-sit-thinking-I-don't-know". In other words, I'd rather get a "no" from something I may be interested in doing, rather than wonder if were ever possible. One example is getting the chance to speak at a "national" ministry Workshop. I had admired the men who I'd heard for years. Last year, I heard of one speaker who was sick, so I e-mailed the director (who I remotely knew) and said I would be willing to speak, if the need arose. He met with me and told me to go to that site on that particular day. Then, the night before, at the keynote, He said, in general announcements, that if I could hear him, I was "on" the next day. Making a long story short, I was VERY nervous, but I gave it my all, and it went well. (You can listen by going to this site, then scrolling down to find my name). That got me in the door, and as it worked out, this year I was asked to speak again - all three days! I am busy preparing for this year's engagement and will be quite nervous each day!

We all have to take steps from time to time in order to get where we want. It will usually take some type of "putting ourself out there". Whether that is offering to do something or joining a group, or somewhere in between. That brings us to this week's quote...
If you have a great ambition, take as big a step as possible in the direction of fulfilling it. The step may one be a tiny one, but trust that it may be the largest one possible for now. ~ Mildred Mcafee
What "great ambition" do you have? What would you like to do for yourself, your family, your community, your church, your work, etc.? What step needs to be taken in order to get closer to that point? Maybe it is learning a new talent/hobby? Maybe it is writing a book? Maybe it is getting a better, more fulfilling job? Maybe it is making your work environment better, more inspiring?

No matter what it is...step forward! Don't stand still or sit and not move. Be on the move to something greater, bigger than you ever dreamed possible!

Take that step!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wish I knew what to do to get closer to my children and their spouses, especially my sons and their wives. I want so much to be close and talk freely and often; how do I do this? I love them all so much and since we do not live close I would like to talk to them more via email or phone. I certainly would take a giant step in that direction if I only knew how; I will begin praying for guidance.....