Tuesday, April 21, 2009

"The Great 8" by Scott Hamilton

There is not a person that I've ever met that could use more optimism. In a world of recession, divorce, & depression, optimism is always needed.

"The Great 8", by Olympic champion, Scott Hamilton, is a book dedicated to helping its readers become optimistic. Naturally, he uses skating as a method to explain how to be happy, when it seems like it may be impossible.

I enjoyed the use of figure skating examples and illustrations to help me understand the message Scott was trying to convey. I learned things I didn't know before about figure skating (like why it was called figure skating).

Scott makes great points that should help anyone achieve the goal of becoming more optimistic. For example, you've got to get up even when you've fallen, trust the one who is coaching you, learn through losing, clear your mind, be positive, smile, go last, get out of your rut, and stand in the spotlight.

One critique I would have about the book, is that it seemed there were times that the information about Scott's cancer seemed a bit repetitive.

Overall, I would recommend this book to anyone looking to have a better outlook on life. It was an easy read but was very enjoyable at the same time.

No comments: