Thursday, July 23, 2009

On Earth to Be Ordinary?

Life is generally what you make of it (or don't make of it). There is no way to deny that life is full of ups and downs. Sometimes those happen on a daily basis. You could be in an "up" or a "down" moment right now and that will determine a bit of how you view life.

As Christians, we are called to be different. We are not to be ordinary, of the "world" or anything like that. We are called to "be holy", set apart. Let us show people we are different, but not in a yellow-with-purple-spots unitard kind of way, but in an "I'm here when you need it" kind of way. The "it" could be when they are going through a victory or a defeat. When they are needing someone to watch kids or needing to go out for coffee. When they are needing a smile or reminded that they aren't the next 'American Idol'.

We aren't expected to be ordinary, which was inspired by this week's quote...

I can't believe that God put us on this earth to be ordinary. ~ Lou Holtz

I can't believe it either! In fact, I know so. There are too many ordinary people. We are given all the chances in the world to be ordinary. Let's be something different...maybe even EXTRAordinary. What will you do extra?

The other day, I wrote a post on a listserv I subscribe to that people all over the country are a part of. It is somewhat of a brainstorming and sharing listserv with people involved with Coalitions. I wrote about a recent CNBC program regarding marijuana and its legality in Mendicino County, CA. Yesterday, I received a nice, encouraging e-mail, appreciating my post. It really boosted my week. It was ordinary to read it, but it was extraordinary to send an appreciation e-mail to the author of the post.

Don't believe you were put on this earth to be ordinary...because you weren't! Now do something to show it!

No comments: