Thursday, July 9, 2009

Prayer: Steering Wheel or Spare Tire

It can be so easy to start a day without prayer. For most, it can be easy to go through an entire day without utilizing this powerful resource.

There are times, admittedly, that I get so wrapped up in getting started with my day and getting all kinds of things completed, that I don't utilize prayer at the beginning of my day. It is simple, generally short, and so powerful. However, we often neglect it.

Here is a quote I received off of Twitter that I want to pass on to you...
"Is prayer your steering wheel or only your spare tire? (There is a difference)"
- Joseph Simmons, aka "Rev Run"

So true! We do not think of our spare tire until we need it, usually in a desperate situation. One time I noticed that my spare tire was flat...luckily it wasn't a 'needed' time. However, it was just chance that I looked at it because I generally do not think about it. Do you treat prayer that way? Not generally thinking of it or only thinking about it in desperate situations?

Let's look at the steering wheel. Its purpose is to guide you, take you in the direction you want to go. If it is not there, you panic. If it falls off or fails to work, you panic. We have our hands on it all the while when we are driving. That should be how we treat prayer. Having our hands all over it, and panicking if we are not involved with it...rather than the opposite.

Use prayer to guide, not to put in the trunk!

No comments: