Thursday, September 3, 2009

A Creation of Wonder

My 20-month-old son's favorite show is the Backyardigans. He's loved that show for about as long as he could pay attention. Recently an episode came on that was about a spies. When we were watching it together I told him that he was a lot like his daddy. I enjoy a good spy movie. Not only do I enjoy it, but his mother enjoys shows that have mystery woven into them.

Where do you find mystery? Is it as you look out into a starry night? Is it as you stare into a microscope? Is it watching a sonogram of a life forming inside a womb? Is it watching a person walking through a forest with someone about to jump out and attack them? Where?

Mystery is part of what causes us to go forward. If you think about it, that is why we are on the "edge of our seats" longing for that next scene. It is what makes us look forward to the next week's episode. It brings us to this week's quote...
Mystery creates wonder and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand.
~Neil Armstrong

Recently, I put myself out there with an idea I had to try to encourage teachers. The mystery of how people will receive this idea is energizing. Whether it is a "yes" or a "no" makes no difference, really. Then, when the answer was "yes" by three different administrators, I then see a mystery in how God is going to use this idea. I anticipate about as much as I would on Christmas morning, looking forward to what will be under the tree!

Another great mystery that energizes me is when I study the Bible. Like others, I can read things many times and get something new out of it many times. I am like a schoolboy each time I get the chance to dig in to the Word. I look for how God is going to speak to me, and then how He is going to give me a message that I may be able to pass on to others to deepen their faith.

The revelation of a mystery helps us understand. It could be understanding the moon, as Neil Armstrong experienced. It could be how an idea will pan out or how God's Word is that much more applicable.

Wonder to better understand!

Enjoying the mysterious to better understand...

No comments: