Tuesday, September 8, 2009

"Fearless" by Max Lucado - Book Review

What do you fear? I am sure it is something...the dark, the unknown, your job security, being buried alive, urban legends, family's well-being, heights, certain bugs/animals, or something totally different.

Fear is practically instilled into us. And we learn other fears along the way. Media has a way of making our fears seem bigger than they should be. Max has come up with a great, current book that challenges us not to be fearful, but Fearless.

Throughout the book, each chapter is filled with a certain area that is something that someone fears. If you are like me, you will find more than one chapter that you find a fear of yours couched in.

Max does a great job of making the idea of fear, and overcoming it, come alive by pointing practical aspects of scriptures. This makes the scriptures be real for people, which helps to apply them.

I was really enjoying the book until I arrived at the chapter about fearing "global calamity". He used Matthew 24 as much of his text for the basis of his teaching. From my study, which many will have differing opinions, I do not see Jesus teaching the "end of times" from this chapter, but rather a "destruction of Jerusalem" warning. I don't point to say that I'm right and he's wrong, but based on my study, I didn't see it as a parallel. However the fact that we do not need to worry about the end is true.

He concludes by reminding us that when we have a faith in Christ and God, we can be Fearless.

There is an "additional chapter" which I would challenge all readers to not skip, as it is inspiring also.

Enjoy Fearless, it was some good food for my soul!

No comments: