Thursday, November 5, 2009

Motivators...to Keep You Going

It is the time of year for the corn harvest in the Midwest. The problem in the area where I'm at...wetness. It has been just wet enough that farmers have not been able to finish cutting the corn. The anxiousness that must flood the mind of a farmer on a regular basis is beyond my scope of understanding, as I'm not a farmer. With each crop, planting and harvesting, there is the challenge of timing. Following the planting comes the anxiousness of the balance of moisture and sunlight.

When I read this week's quote, I thought of a few different things to start it off with, but my mind kept coming back to the farmer. Here's this week's quote...
Faith and doubt both are needed, not as antagonists, but working side by side to take us around the unknown curve. ~Lillian Smith

Not being a farmer, I am going off of experiences being around farmers. When a farmer goes to plant, with hopes of the upcoming harvest that will take place in a few months, I can't help but to think he has faith and doubt. Faith that the crop will have a high yield and doubt that the weather will be without fail. I'm sure there are other 'faiths' and 'doubts', but either way the farmer keeps forging ahead, year after year, because he's been through it before and it keeps him going to the unknown season that lies ahead.

The same can go for us in life. We have no idea what the day may bring, but we keep going. For someone who sees no hope, you may need to add the faith, for doubt is rampant.

When I travel in the mountains, I can't see where the next town is, generally. I doubt that it is around the next curve, but I have faith it is coming up. It keeps me going!

May faith and doubt be the salt and pepper to keep you going in life!

No comments: