Thursday, June 24, 2010

Parents: Positive Role Models

Our culture is filled with many positive messages out there, unfortunately, many of the negative messages will overshadow the positive ones. Messages of body image, being the most talented, and even glamorizing the use of alcohol and cigarettes can definitely fall into the negative category.

Even before I became a parent I had in mind that, as parents, you impact the future, through your kids, by how you act around them.  That could be how you deal with your marriage, your social skills, your work ethic, or your relational skills.  You set the precedence on how your children will be.  You determine if they are comfortable in certain situations or not.  You dictate much of their future, including being a positive role model.  This brings us to this week’s quote…
The best way to raise positive children in a negative world is to have positive parents who love them unconditionally and serve as excellent role models.  ~ Zig Ziglar
Being a parent has taught me that it is very easy to get wrapped up in my every day life.  I get caught up in my day to day activities and can lose a day before I realize it.  I hate it when I do realize it because the day is already past.

I hope that what my wife and I are doing with our children will create them to be positive kids and, eventually, adults.  I hope that we will have a positive impact on their view of body image, using their talents, and de-glamorizing the use of alcohol and cigarettes, as well as, a host of other things.

Want to have positive kids in a negative world…be a positive parent!

No comments: