Monday, August 29, 2011

When There is Nowhere Else to Go

You've probably seen the scene. Someone is running away from something and they come to a dead end. What will they do now? Sometimes the outcome is good, other times, not so good.

In life, you've probably felt that way. You feel like you've come to the end of your path and there is nowhere else to go. Up, down, left, right...nowhere! What are you to do?

This past weekend, I was given the opportunity to speak at a youth event. Due to Hurricane Irene, the scheduled speaker could not arrive on time. I was called at 6:00 PM on Friday to speak on Saturday at 4:00 PM. Not much time to prepare, but through prayer and planning, God's strength came through victorious amidst my weakness. The other glitch was, after arriving at the event site, I was told the first speaker was not going to be able to make it, so I was now the first speaker, moving up my speaking time to 2:00 PM - TWO HOURS SOONER! Again, it all worked out!

The theme for the event was "Unshackled." I found a cool song on YouTube (here), by Decyper Down, that pertained to the theme and projected my thoughts forward as I was preparing for the talk. It was a hard rock Christian song which I had never heard of, nor the heard of the band.

I went with the idea of the Israelites being on the beach, before they crossed the Red Sea. They had the Egyptian army behind them and a Sea in front of them...nowhere else to turn! Who gave them their way out...God! Who is the same answer when life is closing in on us? GOD!

Here are some applications from the lesson you might be able to use in your life...
  • Identify the Shackle ~ What is hindering you from becoming what you need to become? Friends, relationships, yourself, circumstances??? Are you becoming something you do not like to make sure your friends are liking you? This can be for adults or teens. We are being shackled because of these people we're around. Relationships that we are involved in are causing us to be uncomfortable. Doing things we're not comfortable doing. Saying things or going places we're not comfortable with. You are making decisions that are putting yourself in a shackle. Not finishing responsibilities, procrastination, choices...keeping us in shackles. What are your "shackles" in life? Do you feel like you have nowhere to turn?
  • Shatter the Shackle ~ Life can hand us situations that will encase us, much like a candle in a glass jar. We cannot become anything else, other than what the jar allows us to be..in this case cylindrical. how can you break free from that? Just shatter the jar. It is like taking the old self and getting rid of it, revealing a new self underneath. This new self can become anything it wants to be. No longer confined to the jar. Shatter the shackle giving yourself room to become something new...
  • Create the New You ~ Once you shatter the shackle now you are free to discover the next chapter in your life. In some cases it may be a "new you." The new part could not have been created as long as the shackle was impeding you. Now that you're free from that, you can become something new. What will you create in yourself? What will the future hold for the "new" you?


  • Life, which is full of definitions, can shackle us. Depression, peer pressure, parental pressure, pressure from a superior, sexual temptations, affairs, thoughts of suicide, alcoholism, drugs, financial struggles, fear, cancer/health issues, work woes, and the list can go on. All will define life for various people. All of which can cause us to feel like we are that candle encased by the glass. We must find a way to shatter the shackle and break free from it! Let's hear the shackles falling off as we look to the future with a new found freedom!

4 comments:

Lynn Hare said...

My #1 shackle was rejection. After numerous interviews for teaching positions with no offers, and a series of churches where I never got "in" with the "in crowd," I slowed my thoughts and emotions down. God selected me, loved me, included me. I could feel Him filling me up with His love.

In worship and prayer, a light bulb exploded over my head. God's Spirit lives in me. I have His calm center as mine. Where I go, I take His joy, His peace. And as I got freedom from these shackles, I began to live His best life for me. Now I build people up, affirm them, include them, encourage them.

Allowing God to flow through us to help others gain freedom from their shackles is one of the best freedoms of all.

Jarrod, in what area did you find freedom?

Unknown said...

Lynn ~

One of my shackles would be similar to yours. How to identify it with one word is coming as difficult at the time. I was teased, picked on, and wanted to become "someone" so badly. Another way to describe it, which reflects as an antonym for how I aim today, discouragement.

After realizing I wasn't unique to feeling discouraged, I aimed to encourage. I started writing with an aim to encourage. Which has branched into trying to find any medium I can to encourage.

Another shackle is "religious tradition." I grew up with a view of religion filled with attendance being the priority, not sharing my faith or a relationship with Christ. I grew up knowing guilt as my motive for being an active Christian, not enjoying the freedoms found in the relationship I spoke of above.

Though I am sometimes re-shackled by these. For the most part, I am enjoying the freedom that comes from being unshackled!

Warren Baldwin said...

Jarrod,
Didn't realize you had a blog. Linked here from Guin's blog where I found you listed.

Good story and lesson here. My kids enjoyed hearing you at the youth rally. I wanted t ogo - this is the first one I've missed in several years - but I'm taking 2 classes and teaching 2 classes, so I had a lot of work to do. And still do.

Glad to have you in our part of Kansas. Care to go to the preacher's retreat with us? Sept. 19-21.

Unknown said...

Warren ~

Yes, I've been a blogger for 4+ years. Story about why I started it - but it has been fun to see where people come from to read it. Some return and have made acquaintances through expanding the "net."

I asked to be put in Guin's site after being exposed to his ebook "Buried Talents." A good book on women and C of C tradition. I won't say I agree with all of it, but he definitely has some good points.

As you can tell from the blog entry, it was a whirlwind of a time. Last minute speaking, etc. However, that seems to be when I am used the best. I was blessed to fill in at the Tulsa Workshop a few years ago. Though I new it was coming, was told I was speaking at the evening keynote for the next day at 10 AM. God worked it all out!

I bet you are staying busy. I know I am with various things going on in Colby. Chairman of two different groups, for example.

Yes, it is good to be back in Kansas. Been here for 3 years. Originally from Kansas - born and raised. GC area is what I call home as that is where I've lived the most, at various times.

I would probably consider the preacher's retreat, if for one, it was a bit closer to where we are at. I have been going with Darrell to Dodge City to that preacher's get-together - which you will have to come sometime. I don't think I will make it this month.

Thanks again for the comment!