Thursday, September 1, 2011

What Do You See in the World?

I am probably typical when it comes to wanting to look at myself in the mirror. Those flaws will be seen more so than the good areas. We all probably would like to lose something here or there, have something changed, etc.

Though we look at the mirrors in our bathrooms and bedrooms with certain judgments about ourselves. How does the world look at you? That brings us to this week's quote...
The world is a great mirror. It reflects back to you what you are. If you are loving, if you are friendly, if you are helpful, the world will prove loving and friendly and helpful to you. The world is what you are. ~ Thomas Dreier
I read in a parenting book some advice about not being too upset when your child wants to do something radical with their hair or even wear something unconventional. Hair - whether colored or cut off - will grow back. Clothes are apparel on the outside, they can be changed - even if it is over time.

One's social circle will greatly influence how you are formed. It will also be your "judge" as you try new things out. Have a crazy haircut and the schoolyard will determine if it stays that style. Unfortunately, the schoolyard may have a greater influence over parental advice.

How are you being seen by the world? You may not even realize what peoples' views are of you, based on the views not being told to you. However, it probably won't take that long for you to realize if you are loving, friendly, helpful, and the list could go on. These are determined by how much you are reflecting them in your own life.

Make sure you do all you can to have a positive reflection!

2 comments:

Lynn Hare said...

Great blog post, Jarrod! I am always encouraged by your insights.

I believe there's a singular spiritual refraction that occurs when we look at ourselves in the mirror.

The enemy wants us to see only our failures. I bought that line, hook and sinker for many years. I couldn't stand to see my own reflection in the mirror; all I could see were my inadequacies, flaws, and sin.

But as I practiced the presence of God, I began to "get" His love. I purposed to see the good in myself, as He did. I began to look for people who believed in me and purposed to give a refraction of the rays of God's kindness, grace, goodness, and love. And I did the same for them.

Unknown said...

Lynn ~

Thanks for your comments!

Inadequacies do haunt us! I think each person has those haunting thoughts!

Seeing ourselves with His lens can help change things. Ephesians 2:10

May our refraction point to Him, not to the enemy!