Monday, July 9, 2012

Harvest - Plentiful; Workers - Few --> A Message That Probes for Compassion Before Action

When you see a commercial that is trying to get you to "sponsor a child" you don't simply have 30 seconds of "here's how to order" type of a message. You will first see a child that looks downtrodden and then maybe a few that are looking hungry or sickly. These are all ways to cause you to be moved with compassion in order to invest some of your money in helping this cause.

I am not trying to cause you to not sponsor a child, but rather have you realize that compassion is what moves us toward action. We would not likely give any time to the cause if we didn't see the need for it. In this case the need affects our emotions greatly.

Sunday we looked at a section in Matthew 9:35-38 where Jesus challenges His disciples into looking at the world of opportunity to do good for God. There is a plentiful harvest, but only a few will decide to invest their life in the cause.

As we reflect back, here are some applications to choose from to use this week...

  • Harvest ~ There are tons and tons of possibilities out there for us to see. When I look out into the fields of the plains, I am amazed at how God blesses that field with abundance. I have no idea how much a field will produce, kind of like I have no idea how much of produce will be found in mys service to Him. However, to harvest is one way to find out. "Look" as Jesus said to what is out there - keep your eyes open to the possibilities!
  • Plentiful ~ Sometimes making a list of the possibilities of people in your life will open your eyes to the "plenty" that is available. Occasionally, it will be those you know, but then there are people you do not know (that well). Don't become comfortable just with people you do know, but edge out to the places and people you do not know and see what God will do with that move.
  • Workers ~ "I want to be a worker for the Lord" is a portion of a song that I have sung throughout my life. I first looked at it as a dutiful kind of work, but now, I am excited to be one of God's workers. I hope you are excited as well! I hope you "want" to work for and with Him, not simply work for Him!
  • Few ~ Some people try to "step back" all their life and let someone else do it. They are unwilling to use their talents on a regular basis to serve Him. They may put in their efforts for a class or one-time event, but on a day-to-day basis, they are unwilling. I like I Peter 4:10-11 (NIV) because it basically says that whatever you possess, use it to glorify God. We don't have to learn something new to be effective, just use the talents we already possess and go with it! I love to be surprised how God opens doors for me to use my talents!!!
There are fields upon fields of people wanting to know about a Savior. Will you go to them or let them simply fade away by failing to "harvest" them?

Now it's your turn...what has been an obstacle for you and what has been a success for you in the area of sharing your faith?

1 comment:

Lynn Hare said...

Obstacle: I don't have time. It's not on my agenda.
Success: I allow spontaneous time to flow with God and share with those in my path.

Saturday we had a Soul-Winning Marathon in Portland & Eugene, Oregon. We saw 92 people come to Christ! My small group saw 0. But I keep my eyes on how important it was that we sowed seeds. God will provide the increase.