Monday, October 29, 2012

5+2+Jesus=CONFIDENCE - A message that challenges what we "see" in life

When I am traveling and I see either orange traffic cones or traffic at a greatly reduced speed I am actually seeing "inconvenience." That word, inconvenience is quite broad. It could be an inconvenience because I am on a time schedule or because I simply hate to slow down from my plans for the day (aka controlling when I stop). I fail to see much of anything else. I know my feeling is totally selfish and if I could "fly over" the standstill, I would in a heartbeat.

One part which I could be missing is praying for the people involved in a wreck that may have occurred or praying for the construction workers. I might also miss having a small pause in my day to pray for other life situations.

You see...I would be failing to "see"; I would guess most of us would. This is a likely response, that we might become annoyed and not see the possibilities.

Sunday, we looked at the lesson known as the "Feeding of the 5,000." Within this miracle we see Jesus having been brought 5 loaves and 2 fish to feed this vast crowd. Some see possibilities while some see obstacles, inconvenience, annoyance, and lack of vision. As we look at this lesson that challenges our vision, here are some applications to choose from to use this week...
  • Re-Do the Math ~ If I were to ask "what does 5+2 equal," the overwhelming majority would say "7." That is a common and logical response. However, the numbers are not always simply numbers. To look at the Feeding of the 5,000 and think that 7 pieces of food were going to feed that many people is illogical. We must understand that we serve a very "illogical" God, when it comes to our understanding. His ways are higher than our ways, as Isaiah would say about God. We try to understand, but we have a difficult time doing so. As we see matters "stacking up against us" we must re-do the math because God may have other plans.
  • Seeing is Deceiving ~ Have you ever not liked a food simply because you saw what it looked like? It wasn't appetizing, on the surface? Have you ever bitten in to such a food, even with reluctance, and realized you like it? I have been on both sides. That also plays into effect when it comes to how we view potential Kingdom possibilities. Do you see someone who you pass off simply because of the way they look or walk? They may simply be putting that shell up on the outside, but inside they are of great potential! Don't let seeing deceive you!
  • Gaining Confidence ~ Looking in the mirror may cause us to realize that we are only one person. We have the potential to do so much, but see ourself as only "one." The irony of this is, for the Christian, we have a helper with us at all times that is working things out more than we can imagine. As we have Jesus and/or the Holy Spirit in our lives, we are blessed to always live in a majority! When going into a matter, seek Him and gain the confidence needed to help accomplish the task.
We often focus on the "me" in life. We want to try to do what "me" can and become frustrated with what "me" cannot. May we try to put more of God into it and see what "we" can do, especially on the things that are out of our hands to make a difference.

Now it's your turn...what will you and God team up with this week to make a difference?

No comments: